Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Desktop Linux

I've been running Ubuntu on my desktop, since leaving Novell back in 2012.  I was feeling a bit nostalgic the other day, and decided to build out a VM with the latest version of OpenSUSE.  Let me share a few bullet points with you about this experience.

1.  The install of OpenSUSE took twice as long.

2.  Boot time is incredibly slow with OpenSUSE.  Honestly, I can start booting it, go get a drink, startup my Ubuntu VM, reboot it a couple of times, get up and go to the bathroom, come back and OpenSUSE will still be booting.

3.  Response time is even slower.  It's painful actually.

4.  The update process is HORRIBLE.  When OpenSUSE first popped up and told me I had 174 updates, I thought, OK, no big deal, right?  Well the graphical update went into some sort of infinite loop.  I had to kill it after about the 6th time it restarted itself.  In the end, I opted for a simple "zypper patch" as root at the command line.  That  sucker has been running for over 2 hours.  By comparison, Ubuntu updates rarely take in excess of 5 minutes.

As much as I miss the good old Novell days, I think I am converted to running Ubuntu.

I must say, running OpenSUSE in seamless mode does  rock.  It is the one thing I've found it does better than Ubuntu.


No comments:

Post a Comment